“Born with a fallen human nature and tainted by original sin, children also have need of the new birth in Baptism to be freed from the power of darkness and brought into the realm of the freedom of the children of God, to which all men are called. The sheer gratuitousness of the grace of salvation is particularly manifest in infant Baptism. The Church and the parents would deny a child the priceless grace of becoming a child of God were they not to confer Baptism shortly after birth.” (CCC 1250)
- Complete Baptismal program, attend 2 classes: 1 parent led, 1 clergy led (sign up for classes by contacting Rosalie Days at or 202.449.4618 with the dates of the classes you wish to attend)
- Decide which group baptism you wish to attend: every month Blessed Sacrament offers a group baptism every 2nd Saturday and 4th Sunday (private baptisms will have to be arranged through email, please read below for details)
- Fill out Baptismal form – given at the baptism classes, once you know what date your child will be baptized and once you have chosen the godparents.
THE BAPTISMAL PROGRAM
The Baptism preparation program is designed to help parents better understand the religious significance and meaning behind the use of symbols during your child's Baptism ceremony. We will also equip you with some concrete, practical suggestions for raising your children in the Catholic Faith and tradition. The program consists of two sessions, which can be attended in any order. Sessions are held once every two months at 1:45 p.m. in the parish center. When you attend a session, it is recommended that you park in the parking area between the church and the school and enter the parish center by the door to the right of the glass entrance. The doors from Quesada Street may not be open.
The schedule of Baptismal prep sessions for 2016 - 2017:
Session led by a priest or deacon: deals with the meaning of baptism, the Rite of Baptism, and the symbols in the rite. All sessions will be held at 1:45 p.m. in the parish chapel. Space is limited, the cutoff to sign up is 1 week before a class by emailing: :
- Sunday, December 4, 2016--------(SIGN UP by November 27th)
- Sunday, February 5, 2017--------(SIGN UP by January 29th)
- Sunday, April 9, 2017--------(SIGN UP by April 2nd)
- Sunday, June 4, 2017--------(SIGN UP by May 28th)
Session led by parents: deals with the faith journey of the parents, the rituals and traditions of the Catholic faith, and the responsibility and joy of being the first teachers of the children in matters of faith. All nine sessions will be held at 1:45 p.m. in the parish center. Space is limited, the cutoff to sign up is 1 week before a class by emailing: :
- Sunday, November 6, 2016--------(SIGN UP by October 30th)
- Sunday, January 8, 2017--------(SIGN UP by January 1st)
- Sunday, March 5, 2017--------(SIGN UP by February 26th)
- Sunday, April 2, 2017--------(SIGN UP by March 26th)
- Sunday, May 7, 2017--------(SIGN UP by April 30th)
Attend classes, if required:
a. Those having their first child baptized: Are required to attend both sessions
b. Those who have had children baptized at other parishes (who have NOT completed a baptism preparation program at another parish): Are required to attend the session led by parents
c. Those who took part in our program more than five years ago: Are asked to attend the meeting led by parents
d. Those who have attended a baptism program at any Catholic Parish within the past five years are exempted from additional classes and only need to schedule your child’s baptism date.
Every month, Blessed Sacrament offers a ‘group baptism’ where families sign up to attend a pre-scheduled ‘group baptism’ where a given number of families gather for infant baptisms that are done individually. Each family will be given individual time for their child’s baptism and plenty of time and space for individual and private photos. We highly encourage group baptisms, since they are the easiest and fastest way of scheduling your child’s baptism, the church and a priest/deacon are already scheduled for you – below you can check for immediate availability.
- Saturday, November 19th – Chapel at 12:00 p.m.
- Sunday, November 20th – Church at 2:00 p.m.
- Saturday, December 3rd – Chapel at 12:00 p.m.
- Sunday, December 24th – NONE
- Saturday, January 14th - Chapel at 12:00 p.m. with Fr. Alec Scott
- Sunday, January 22nd - Church at 2:00 p.m. with Deacon Mays
- Saturday, February 11th - Chapel at 12:00 p.m. with Fr. Ron Potts
- Sunday, February 26th - Church at 2:00 p.m. with Deacon Angell
- Saturday, March 4th - Chapel at 12:00 p.m. with Fr. D'Silva
- Sunday, March 26th - Church at 2:00 p.m. with Deacon Harry Prieto
- Saturday, April 8th - Chapel at 12:00 p.m. with Fr. O'Connell
- Sunday, April 23rd at 2:00 p.m. with Deacon Mays
- Saturday, May 13th - Chapel at 12:00 p.m. with Fr. Alec Scott
- Sunday, May 28th - Church at 2:00 p.m. with Fr. D'Silva
- Saturday, June 10th - Chapel at 12:00 p.m. with Fr. Ron Potts
- Sunday, June 25th - Church at 2:00 p.m. with Fr. O'Connell
To register for a Group Baptism, please email .
Due to various circumstances, you may need to arrange a private baptism – in this case, you will need to provide several dates and times that will work with your schedule several months in advance, fill out a special form that we will provide for you at the baptism class, and arrange a priest to come. Please email with your desired dates. Due to the large number of requests, we cannot guarantee the dates you select, so please be patient as we coordinate schedules until we find a date/time that works.
***Baptismal forms will be given at the baptism classes
Once you have the date of the baptism and the godparents, you will need to fill out a baptismal form. If you have chosen to partake in a group baptism, please indicate on the form what date you have selected. A priest/deacon and the location are already booked for a group baptism.
If you have need of a private baptism, you will need to coordinate via email to find a time that works for the church or chapel space ( ) And, in addition you will be responsible for asking a priest/deacon who can come – once you have all the necessary information, you can fill out the baptismal form and submit it.